Show & Tell
At the beginning of the test you will be asked 1 from 14 questions. See below for the question that will be asked during the test.
1) Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil?
2) Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level?
3) Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid?
4) Tell me how you would check the brake lights are working on this car?
5) Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey?
6) Tell me where you would find the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked?
7) Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road?
8) Tell me how you would check that the power-assisted steering is working before starting a journey?
9) Tell me how you would check the headlights and tail lights are working?
10) Tell me how you would check that the direction indicators are working?
11) Tell me how you would switch on the rear fog light and explain when you would use it.
12) Tell me how you would switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car.
13) Tell me how you would make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash?
14) Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system?
Check the oil only after the engine has been switched off after 15 minutes, on level ground. Oil dipstick has a yellow handle central left of the engine. Pull out and clean with a rag, place back in all the way. Take back out and the oil level should be between the two marks.
Engine coolant is on the left side of the engine compartment. Check the level is close to the Max mark.
Brake fluid is to the left and back of the engine compartment. Check the level of the liquid is close to the Max mark.
Explain you would operate the brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows or doors, or ask someone to help.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Car should noy pull to one side.
Tyre pressures are labelled on the passenger side central pillar. When the tyres are cold, remove the dust cap. Use a tyre pressure gauge, press it on the valve. Check the reading against the recommendation. Replace the dust cap.
There should be no cuts or bulges. There should be at least 1.6mm of tread depth across the central ¾ of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.
The steering wheel will be difficult to move before starting the engine. Start the engine and the steering wheel will be much easier to move. (Do not move the steering wheel very far if the car is stationary.)
Press the start button without the clutch being down. Turn the light switch to the 3rd position. Look around the car and check that the four lamps at the front and the 2 lamps at the back are all lit.
Press the Hazard Warning light switch (red with white triangle) and walk around the car to check all four lamps and the two on the mirrors are flashing.
Turn the headlights on and press the button to the right of the headlight dial. (Oval with horizontal lines). When it is foggy and visiblity is reduced to less than 100 metres.
Turn the headlights on. Pull the indicator stalk towards you. A blue light will come on in the dashboard. Repeat the process to switch off.
The head restraint should be placed so the top of the restraint is level with the top of your head (if possible). The restraint should be as close as possible to the back of your head.
An orange light with the ABS symbol would stay on in the dashboard once the ignition has been switched on.
During the test you will be asked 1 from the following 7 questions.
When it's safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen?
When it's safe to do so, can you show me how you'd operate the horn?
When it's safe to do so, can you show me how you would clean the front windscreen?
When it's safe to do so, can you show me how you'd set the rear demister?
When it's safe to do so, can you show me how you'd switch on your dipped headlights?
When it's safe to do so, can you show me how you'd demist the front windscreen?
When it's safe to do so, can you show me how you'd open and close the side window?
Pull the wiper stalk towards you for a few seconds.
The horn is located on the steering wheel. Press the horn.
Push the tip of the windscreen wiper stalk inwards for a couple of seconds.
Press the rear demister button, located under the interior temperature display.
Turn the lighting dial to the 2nd position.
Press the Max button. This puts the hot full airflow to the windows.
Push the window button to the right downwards. Hook your finger under the same button to raise the window.